La Rambla, also known as Las Ramblas is one of the main streets of Barcelona and one of the landmarks of the city. It is an avenue of 1.3 kilometers that connects Plaza Catalunya with the ancient port of the city.
Las Ramblasis always full of life, tourists and street performers who act as human statues. The street has numerous terraces and is a pleasant tos it and watch the passers although the prices here are rather increased because it is a very touristic area.
Starting from the Catalunya square Las Ramblas is divided into 5 parts:
- Rambla de Canaletes: Located at the top oft he Ramblas next to the Plaza Catalunya, Rambla de Canaletes is a very busy and lively.
- Rambla de los Estudios: Named this way because the General college or University was situated here. It is also known asLa Rambla de los pájaros because nearby there was an oldbird market.
- Rambla de las Flores: The most colorful and fragrant part of Las Ramblas. It is full off lower stalls and plants that brighten the darkest of days.In this area there is the legendary ¨Boqueria Market¨.
- Rambla de los Capuchinos: Also known as theRambla delCentro has many attractions in the vicinity, such as the GranTheater Liceo, the Güell palace or he nearby Royal square.
- Rambla de Santa Mònica: Functioning as port lobby, the Ramblade Santa Monica is a lively area full of bars and restaurants. At the end of the avenue close to the sea there is the Columbus Monument.